Sunday, May 13, 2007

Preciptiation at Dinner

I have just returned to my room from a buffet dinner down in the hotel restaurant. I would rather dine in-room, but it is so much more expensive. It must be because I mostly dine alone, well almost always. It is difficult to encounter someone who speaks English, and when I do participate in a group, they soon tire of trying their English language skills and return to their native language quickly leaving me behind. Besides, meals are only provided there as one may not leave the compound ot search other fare because of security reasons.

I enjoyed conch (think abalone from a mollusk whose shell resembles those used to call out to ships from shore as they arrive) with an onion gravy, red beans and rice, small squabs braised, and macaroni and cheese. I usually try to stay away from fish since I do not navigate small fish bones well. I recall in the Barisal region of Bangladesh, where most meals were rice and stewed fish. I took a bite and instantly the tender tip of my tongued was lanced by a small fish bone. I recall a popping sound as I pulled it painfully from my tongue. I never accept American food, unless it is all that is offered though. Everyone assumes that I want to try global fast food franchises in order to feel at home. Not me, I've done that often enough! I have only gotten food poisoning twice.

Once on that first trip to El Salvador at a nice restaurant upon hitting the paved road returning from the campo (rural) area of our project. The meal was worth it though, a delicious shrimp soup (sopa des camerones). I remember that I was so proud that i ordered my meal in Spanish entirely by myself. After ordering though, I noticed the flustered cook hovering about my table. I had ordered a side dish of refried beans, but instead had asked for sopa des camerones con camerones (with) pintos negro (black beans). The cooled thought I wanted the refried black beans in the soup! My hosts realized my mistake and we all laughed. One must be prepared to be light-hearted while traveling and willing ot appear foolish.

The other gastric distress episode was last month in Guatemala at my hotel. I was just wanting to order in-room since ot was late and my flight left very early, so I ordered the hamburger well done. I should of known for the distress happened upon me in-flight. since then I have learned to carry extra underwear in my brief case. Of course, the anti-diarrheal Cipro works wonders, albeit several hours later.

I found a small table next to a wall this evening as watched as the other guests filed in. The dining area, like most in tropical countries is mostly outside with no walls affording a beautiful view of the city below.



But soon, a heavy rain began to fall driving the diners in towards the center of the restaurant. A couple near to me was getting splattered so I moved my table in towards the room and indicated that they do the same. It was quite a scurry for the other guests.

Back at my room, I was drawn to the balcony to watch as an attendent carried a large patio-style umbrella to ferry guests to and from their vehicles. Then, a whole section of the city below went dark, which is not unusual in developing countries. Of course, it was the shanty town section while ours remained electrified. Small recompense for the expense of hotel life. My favorite hotel was in a remote valley of the Altiplano of Bolivia where we arrived after a long dusty visit to the focus area. It was a resort at a hot springs, of which the hotel was built in the 1930's. I recall that the generators shut down after 8:30PM, and the running water was cold. I went for a walk on a jutting tip of gardened land above the hotel to view the Southern Cross for the first time. Electricity is vital, but one can find redemption in the manner that civilization has experienced for most of time.

Well, back to putting the finishing touches on my training plan for tomorrow. I'm excited.

No comments: