Thursday, June 7, 2007

Asia - Bangladesh

Yes today is packing day. In some ways, for me, the preparation time is almost as exciting as the trip itself. I think this stems from anticipating Christmas or a trip to Disneyland. Ya gotta enjoy the whole trip - even before you leave! I'm searching through my bag of coin and currency to see if I have some Bangladeshi "Taka" left from prior trips. They are worth very little, but I can use them for tips to the desperate persons battling (literally) to carry my luggage from airport security to my hotel shuttle, about 50 feet.

I leave tonight at 6:40 PM and arrive there at the equivalent of 4PM Seattle time on Friday, routed through London. Not bad at all, a couple of 9 hour or so flights with 3 hours layover at Heathrow.

Oh, how I know Terminal 4 in Heathrow. I have spent several multi-hour layovers there, with one being a 12 hour early in my flights overseas. The seats throughout the terminal single with arm rest in between each, and are made of metal with little cushion. I am not one to sleep in a terminal (too much to see), but this 12 hour stint was on a return flight and I was pretty beat. So, I noted a three seat set off in a corner, likely re-constructed by a tired traveler.. i awaited the fortunate travel laid out, and saw a stirring as they needed to run for their flight. I made my move and arrived for possession with my hip bag, briefcase and travel bag just as another man arrived tardy. I stretched out entwining the straps of my bags in a Gordian Knot both through the seat arms on my arms. 50 minutes of sleep did the trick. This seat arrangement was on the south side of the terminal 3/4 of the way from the food court. By the way, a bit further is huge handicapped restroom ideal for a quick wipedown with baby wipes, shave and tooth refresh.

I got smart later on and would book a room at the Airport Hilton which is connected to the terminal. A great few hours stay, but very expensive. I still have great problems with spending Save's moneys for things like that, but the option is arrving in Tajikistan "thinking" that you are doing well with 12 hours of jet lag and no sleep for the past 30 hours and noting the curious stares from the audience during my first presentation to management. I guess it is worth it. My manager Lee always tells me to be rested and ready.

Back to packing. No, where is that passport....?

No comments: