Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Panama - A Paradigm Shift


I have arrived in Panama City to attend the biannual NetHope conference at the Ciuadad de Sabre (City of Knowledge). I am staying at the Country Suite Hotel immediately adjacent to the Pacific terminus of the Panama Canal.

This was an easy trip, especially to Central America. A short 6 hour flight from Seattle (yes, short) to Miami and then three hours to Panama. I've been flying a lot in the last 4 years so my mileage on American Airlines earned me a coupon to stay free at their Admirals Club. A bit over-rated, but definitely more pleasurable than the main Miami terminal. Plus, free coffee! That's a bonus to keep expenses down, and a boost after taking the 10:30PM red-eye flight out of Seattle!

I always love returning to Latin America. The culture is so easily engaged, plus I have a barely functioning grasp of Spanish (that is in positive comparison to my knowledge of most languages of the countries that I visit). Also, El Salvador, a couple of countries to the north, was my first trip out of the United States for Save the Children. That trip changed my occupation and future outlook on life globally. It also changed how I viewed myself. I am still pretty much a whining, self-centered norte americano fully entrenched in rampant consumerism. But I have noted some changes...

Panama is distinctly different than Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador. I can see that it is much more stable here politically and financially. This is going ot be fun.

No comments: