Wednesday, January 16, 2008

When Are We Leaving??



This is how I am feeling at this point - are we there yet?. Tomorrow we will drive a couple or so hours to field test our two forms. The time of training with the PDA's and form design software is completed except for our post field test review. During the training I emphasized repeatedly that what works here in our training sessions will behave differently under field conditions. It always happens that way. Try as we might, something usually pops up that does not function as anticipated until you place the application in the actual context of where it will be used. Part of the reason of this plague of developers and project managers for computing applications is the the designer is expert on how the application works. I recall when I designed and conducted application testing for mobile inventory applications for the Boeing company, I would send out a call of invite to the organizations that eventually would use the application for testing volunteers. Almost without exception, I would receive the expert person who knew how to run the prior version as a super user.



This never made sense to me since they already knew how it worked except for the changes to the application. I frequently would politely smooth over their bruised egos when I declined their offer. I would then make an unannounced call down to the factory floor looking for better, less expert users of the application. I knew that I had found success when I discovered the old codger who must use the application in his/her daily work and who, after some prodding, would vocally declare that they hated the program and it was a waste of their time. These testers were invaluable and would quickly - and loudly - tell you what did not work. Usually this person was as close to the actual process and was indeed the the true expert. Free cups of coffee and donuts did not seem to bias the results.



I am not entirely sure where we will proceed, but Margarita assures me that we will be able to visit areas where both the Community Self-Help Fund (CSHF) and the NOVA programs will be present. The latter is a partnership funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) as a five-year initiative designed to improve quality of and access to reproductive, maternal and infant health care in rural areas of Armenia. The Project is managed by Emerging Markets Group, Inc. in partnership with IntraHealth International Inc. and Save the Children, and in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH) of the Republic of Armenia. I am here in support of Save the Children in order to assist them as emerging as an innovator in use of mobile technology.

Now here is the nuts and bolts of the issue in my largely ignorant and simple understanding. After the economic collapse in Armenia due to the pull out of Soviet Russia in the early 1990's, things became rough for everyone. No jobs, no taxes for infrastructure upkeep and improvement. Around 35% of people in Armenia live below the poverty level, while 6.5% are very poor living on less than $1 a day. The last time that we experienced anything akin to 35% unemployment in the United States was the Great Depression! From reading the success stories (I dearly love them, especially the Save the Children's Directors comment at the dedication of a renovated youth sports facility in Artik town in the Shirak marz, I wish that the Sport School gives many champions. Champions indeed - of the future of the community). I have seen the world over how people, especially women and children, spend much time and effort hauling firewood for heating and cooking fuel, as well as water for cleaning, cooking and hygiene over long distances.



I recall how busy I was with my four young children at one time going to work, coming home to do the laundry and cooking meals. this is not to mention the other tasks of transportation to soccer (football) games, etc. Well, I was plenty busy without having to haul stacks of wood on my head while carrying a bucket or two of water a few kilometers in the dead of winter. I sure enjoy hot showers at the turn of the faucet and electricity upon demand. I will not describe latrine situations in developing countries - flush and go for me! Now where is that secure donation website link?

So very little relatively goes a long way. I will post pictures and narrative in a couple of days so you can see the exceedingly fine work being conducted for the children and families of Armenia by Save the Children and the partners. The newsletter that was produced by the staff of the Armenia CO of Save The Children before I left the U.S. was delightful and very informative.

No comments: