Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Farewell to Mangochi



We returned to the office and synchronized our data for review. The only problem noted was one set of PDA records seemed to have happened the night before. I chuckled when I realized that it was my mistake. I had forgotten to change the PDA's clock to the correct time zone after leaving Armenia last week. The PDA catches everything - including the consultants' mistakes!

That afternoon, I gave my final presentation to senior staff. I recommended that they procure several PDA's and use them in a pilot program in a parallel effort with a paper-based survey. I also risked an internal organizational suggestion. When I was picked up at the Nkpola Lodge on my first morning of instruction, my driver was actually Lloyd, the manager of Logistics and all of the drivers. Later that day when I asked to see where the servers are located, I was somewhat alarmed to see Lloyd sitting at the keyboard of one of the servers. I found that Lloyd was also the IT support for the Mangochi office. During our many drives together, I found Lloyd not only quite friendly but well skilled for IT work. I spoke with him and asked what would he really like to do - manage drivers or do IT work (he actually used to be an IT instructor in networks at a local school)? He replied IT. Kwandani, the Field Office Regional Technician (FORT) told me that Lloyd was doing a great job. So, during my exit presentation, I added a single bullet that the Mangochi IT support be a dedicated position. All were happy.

No comments: