Thursday, August 2, 2007

Freezing At the Equator



I was quite unprepared for this climate just a half a degree north of the equator here in Kamapala Uganda. Several times I wish I had my coat nearby. Here it is July and early in the morning if there is any breeze it is quite cool. But, I am located over 4,000 feet in altitude. Amazing. After a couple of weeks in Uganda, I continue flying East to Vietnam with a final flight through Japan back to Seattle - my 2nd round-the-world trip.

Once again I have departed from the familiar and comfortable - thankfully! I left from Seattle, WA Saturday night late and finally arrived 11 jet-lagged time zones later Monday afternoon. A connecting flight in Washington Dc, then onto Rome. It was early morn while we sat on the plane, unable to disembark due to security concerns while the 767 aircraft re-fueled. I always like to have a window seat (I can sit motionless with a cast iron bladder for hour upon hour it seems) and I was fortunate on this full flight ot have the adjacent aisle seat vacant until Nairobi Ethiopia. I was able to stretch out but still did not sleep due to the excitement and a bit of prepatory work.

This is another mobile computing assessment trip to our Save The Children office in Kamapala. I prepared by reading a bit on Uganda and watching the movie on Idi Amin, "The Last King of Scotland". I am here due to a continuing dialogue with the local M&E advisor, Luc Vanhoorickx whom I met over 2 years ago at a conference in Mombasa Kenya. Finally, this trip materialized and I am excited.

After arriving at the notable Entebbe airport and waiting a long time for my luggage I was met by Julius the staff driver who took me ot the Hotel International. Unfortunately after my 1st night I asked to be moved to other lodging. This is a first for me. It was actually a nice hotel and i was given a beautiful corner room on the top floor with a stunning view of the 2nd largest lake on earth - Lake victoria. But the bed lacked a mattress, the phone did not work, and I awoke with mosquitos in my room due to a broken window slide. There was no hot water nor air conditioning (not needed). My repeated requests to the manager resuulted in avoidence. I have found that you do not call, nor visit the hotel desk, you simply request the desk manager ot come to your room to describe the problems. He never showed. Only after informing them of my early check-out and their loss of 13 days of $US, did I receive my phone messages and a Save arrival info folder. However the room was well-ventilated due to screened louvers at the top of each window. All night i heard howling yapping dogs nad all the street traffic below. I am whinning, but I could actually enjoy all of this but the risk of malaria in this WHO malaria zone. And this malaria plasmodium kills.

As I entered my room and opened the curtains looking out over the Lake, I was standing opposite the largest bird i had ever seen (later I was told it was the 2nd tallest bird on earth - many 2nd's here!) It was at eye level and but 10 feet from my window perched on top of a palm tree. We stared at each other and it then flew away. Then, the porter brought in my luggage and i inquired about this stork-like bird with a gullet like a turkey. The porter gave me a strange look as I motioned towards the noe vacant perch. He turned and waled away - another jet lag hallucinating tourist. But, aha, I had taken a photo with my PDA!



After a quick morning phone call to dear Olive in the Save office I was picked up and taken to a hotel much further from the Save office. this was very unfortunate since I hate to add cost and inconvenience to the office. I was taken to the classic British-era Grand Imperial hotel in the heart of Kampala. As we drove to this hotel, I was secretly hoping that it would be some improvement. I was stunned. For slightly more, this was a world class hotel. I was first taken to small but comfotable room on the ground floor. Before i unpacked, I was interrupted by a person who conducted me to a top floor room. The bed (with a mattress) was the most comfortable I have ever enjoyed. It was a big room with in-room internet (lacking in my prior lodgings). I need this since jet-lag seemed to hit me hard. The food was good and above bacteria-breeding temperature.

My first day in the office is always the best. I love the unpredictable as I must quickly adjust my training plan to the individule team members assembeld for me. I was warmly greeted and introduced to the Country Office director. Everyone state that they were eager ot see what can be accomplished with mobile data collection technology. Next week we travel to the impact area in Nakasongolo to train the health workers to use the PDA's. I cannot wait...

No comments: