Wednesday, August 15, 2007

In the City....Vietnam



As I had hoped, the staff here at Save the Children have let me gain liberty to do it on my own, albeit very selectively. It is a very safe city. I needed some Vietnamese currency, so the hotel suggested I walk to an ATM a block away. This was very fortunate since ATM's are few and distant here. The hotel doorman walked outside onto the street and just pointed down a side street. One must constantly be aware of traffic, even on side streets. This city is filled with hordes, no armies of motor bikes going everywhere! I used my credit card to withdraw some Vietnam Dong for our visit to the countryside - 4 hours to the south by vehicle. I also wanted some extra money for shopping this weekend, etc. So, by pulling a couple of hundred US dollars equivalent, I found myself a millionaire by Vietnamese standards: 2.6 million Dong! I also took a taxi both to and from the office today. I am enjoying this city unlike all others. Very exciting, clean and safe.

By the way, in the picture above, the bowl on the left is filled with tiny live crabs - very fresh!

When I returned to the hotel this afternoon, the fresh bowl of fruit had been replaced with a different variety. Usually, it contained what appeared to be small chestnuts, but actually something like tiny kiwi fruit. These did not interest me and they must of noticed my lack of interest. Today, it was filled with short, stout bananas. Now, I often see the banana type all over the tropics which are the starchy plantains used for cooking. I thought that these were those. Oh, to my delight, this was absolutely the most succulent, delicious bananas I have ever had anywhere in the world. Not only were the bursting with flavor, but seemed combines with flavors of peach, cherry, orange. They were incredible. Vietnam has delightfully surprised me.



Above is a picture of my partner, Khahn, studiously and earnestly developing his health form for testing the next two days. I put a few touches to it this evening, so all ready....

1 comment:

Edward G. Happ said...

David, I love reading your travel Blogs and viewing your photos. I am glad you sent me the link...no doubt Lee passed the word :) One comment on headings: since the Blog is in reverse chronological order, it's important to provide more info in your headings. While I picked up right away in your Aug. 15 entry that your were in Vietnam, I did not know you were in Hanoi until the 2nd or third entry! :) BTW, I sent a NetHope intern your way; let me know if Shaun contacts you.