Saturday, August 4, 2007

Still Tethered....

It is Saturday. It was beautiful sunshine as I ate my breakfast at the Terrace Restaurant on the Hotel mezzanine. So, I decided to don my cultural spacesuit and venture out onto the streets of Kamapala. Of course, I first prudently inquired at the front desk as to the saftey for my excursion, but the response was consistant with my security briefings before I left the U.S. One must just be aware as in any large city. Pickpockets could jostle you for a wallet, but I always keep all valuables (in part, the rest are ALWAYS locked in my room safe, never the hotel safe where several persons have access) in my fanny pack which is situate on the front of my waist and clipped to my pants belt loop. The biggest dangers overseas statistically are for pedestrians being hit by cars, or on the road. I took extra care on Kampalas congested streets since the follow the reverse street travel direction of the U.S.

I stepped out onto the street corner opposite the hotel and was immediately targeted by taxi drivers offering a ride. I have watched them from the safety of the hotel and they keep a watchful eye for hotel guests, so I expected this and politely declined with a shake of my head and a smile. Still, as in most overseas location, I draw curious stares. I always try to move this towards my advantage and practice a bit of American ambassadorship and smile. Not far from walking south along Nile Street, a main thoroughfare, I spied a group of workman placing flat paving stones along the median of the road. Kampala is preparing for the CHOGM (Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting) coming in November. Representatives from 29 former British Commonwealth nations are arriving along with the Queen of England.



So, Kamapala is sprucing up its image! I crossed the street carefully and approached the work crew. Of course they all eyed me curiously as to why I approached them. I could see that the foreman was also there, as I knelt adjacent to the paver. I finally indicated his good craftsmanship since his paving stones followed his leveling lines for both straightness and height. Oops, this drew the foreman's attention and he suddenly noted that the paving stones' height exceed the curb height. Soon, I departed as the foreman heatedly discussed this error with the worker.



I then walked a few blocks in a round about fashing. I had established a "home" breadcrumb back to the hotel with my GPS unit before I left the hotel. Kamapala is, like most developing country capitals, jam-packed with many people traveling about - even on a Saturday. A motorcycle taxi driver that I encountered told me that it would rain later. I remarked that it was difficult for me to "read" the weather since it was not my native country. It looked sunny and warm to me. He was right. Back at the hotel I was distracted by crashing thinder and flashes of lightening as I did some PDA form testing. This is not even the rainy season!

No comments: